Thursday, July 23, 2015

Striped Quilt Part 3 - Binding

Now that you have everything completely sewn together (top quilt, batting, and backing), it's time to finish up the last part!



















Trim up all of the sides so that all of the sides are equal. I used my cutting mat to help me keep things straight.

The binding can be as thick as you would like. I ended up going with strips that had a width of 2.5" since I already had enough fabric for that and wouldn't need to buy more.

Calculate how many strips of fabric you need for the binding:
You can use this calculator for some easy math:

I love this tutorial on how to do the binding:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2egganTi2us

I chose to hand sew my binding instead of finishing it with the sewing machine. Before, I did the final stitching I embroidered "Made with Love by Mom 2015." I used a pencil to write it out and then embroidered. I loosely put in a couple of pins to help keep the binding down, so I would know how much space I had to work with.














You now have a beautiful and completely quilt! It felt like quite an accomplishment to finally finish this!



















Part 1
Part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment