Thursday, July 16, 2015

Striped Quilt Part 2 - Backing and assembling the quilt

Take your top layer and even it up a little bit, you don't have to completely cut it even right now but if you have sides that ended up much longer than others you can fix that now.

How much backing fabric you use, varies from person to person. I played it on the safer side, but some give themselves even extra fabric. I chose to have an extra 4"  of backing and batting on each side of my quilt.

My quilt top ended up being 42" by 58". So I wanted my batting and backing to be 50" by 66". Since I used a twin size batting, it was easy to cut into the size I wanted. The backing was a little trickier, since the width my bolt of fabric was only 43", I had to piece together my backing. I ended up getting 2 3/4 yards of my backing fabric to make sure I had plenty. (This might be where you need to bring out your math skills, don't forget to account seam allowance in).

I chose a polka dot fabric, and wanted to line up the polka dots so it would be harder to see where I pieced the fabric together. (I ended up ordering a little extra fabric for this reason)
















Cut your fabric, and line up how you would like it.

Then pin the fabric, since you want this to stay lined up its important you pin it! Then sew, I just used a 1/4" allowance for this.




















Press the seam open.















 And there you go, a backing that almost looks like it's one piece of fabric!
















Find a large area to spread out your quilt. Lay your backing fabric print size down on the floor, and then place the batting on top.

















Then place your top quilt piece on top- in the center. Remember I allowed for about 4" on each side of the quilt to have extra batting and backing.
















Make sure everything is smooth out how you would like it including the back. I found that the back easy moved around so I was having to constantly check it.

Pin several areas of the quilt so that the quilt will stay in tact while sewing. (You may need to adjust pins later but this helps keep things mostly in place). Put extra pins on the first row you are going to sew. I chose to start in the middle and then alternate sides of the quilt as well as the direction I sewed in. This helped pull the quilt and prevent the quilt from bunching up. This part can be tedious, but go slow and careful.


I made a quick example to try to show you what I meant. I started with my center, grey stripe, I sewed from left to right. Then I sewed right below that stripe from right to left. Then I moved up and sewed again right to left, but it was in the opposite direction I sewed the row below it. I used pins on the side to help me know which side to sew. Keep checking the back as you sew the row to make sure the backing is not bunching.

 
I rolled up the quilt to make it easier to sew and fit easier with my sewing machine.





I tried to sew on the white part with white thread so it would blend in better.




Keep sewing until all of the rows have been sewed.

Part 1
Part 3


No comments:

Post a Comment