Thursday, July 9, 2015

Striped Quilt Part 1 - Top piece (sewing the stripes)

I have been seeing this ruffled quilt floating around etsy and pinterest for a while and decided it as time I make it. Plus I wanted a quilt for E when she transition into a toddler bed. I made mine a little larger so it can be used as a lap quilt once she outgrows the toddler bed.





















My quilt is 42” by 58” so my measurements are based on that size.

My quilt has 2 pink stripes, 3 grey stripes and 6 white stripes.
















(Picture does not show backing as I bought that once my quilt top was completed).

Materials needed, in additional to the typical sewing supplies:
  • 1 3/4" of pink*  (I used the pink for ruffled strips and binding which is why more fabric is needed)
  • 1 1/4" of grey*
  • 1 1/4" of white*
  • Batting 50" by 66" I just bought a twin size since the crib size wasn’t large enough. **
  • 2 3/4" of backing fabric
  • Matching thread (I just used pink (since it was the binding color) and white for everything else)

*Make sure to check the width of your fabric, each strip will need to be cut to 43” so you don’t want to start with a smaller width. All of my fabric was at least 44” in width.

** Please make sure the batting allows it to be quilted up to 6” apart (some batting requires the quilting to be closer together.

I used a ½” allowance for all of the sewing.

After washing your fabric, cut your strips to be 43” by 6 ¼”.  Cut 3 grey, 6 white, and 6 pink.



















Iron your pieces of fabric.

For the ruffled stripe:
Sew two pieces of the pink strips together, on the width part (the sides that are only 6 ¼”) so that you now have a long stripe 6 ¼” by 85” (losing an inch due to the seam allowance).
















Once you have done this for both of your pink strips. Sew with an ½” allowance with a very loose and long stitch. (I had my tension at the loosest I could get it which was a 9 for my Brother sewing machine.). I recommend practicing this ruffle on a scrap piece of fabric. As you sew, the fabric will start to bunch up on its own – which creates the ruffle.

















Pin this ruffle piece to one of your pink strips (42” by 6 1/4”). As you pin, you can help create some of the ruffles so you can get it to look the way you want.


















Sew the strips with a 1/2" allowance on either side.





















Do this again for the other ruffle. You should now have two ruffle pieces.

Now sew the strips together, two at a time. Be sure to pin, this helps so much in keeping the strips from shifting and being equal on all sides.

 I started by sewing a white strip to every grey strip.

Iron the seams open.



















Continue sewing the strips together until the top of your quilt is finished! (sorry I forgot to take a picture with just the top - I put the pink around to make sure that's what I wanted for the binding)
















I will finish this quilting process in other posts.

Part 2
Part 3



No comments:

Post a Comment