Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Star Wars Birthday

For my little Jedi's 3rd birthday we threw a Star Wars party.   This kid knows every little detail about Star Wars.  One of the first songs he could hum was The Imperial March.   No joke.   We have Star Wars coming out of our ears at my house.  Thanks to him, I think I could hold my own in a Star Wars trivia contest.   

I knew we needed to plan an epic Star Wars party for him and it did not disappoint.  We were in Idaho visiting our grandparents and many of our cousins at the time which made this party extra special.   I started with some Star Wars invitations and used this great Star Wars font.  My husband was a huge help in getting the Star Wars wording just right. 




















 Birthday banners are one of my favorite things to make for birthdays!  I’m getting quite the collection already.  It's a good thing that they don’t take up too much space.  For this birthday banner I used some green, blue and red cardstock.  I just traced a pennant shape on the paper and cut it out.  I used the Star Wars font to print out the letters and then cut them out and glued them on the card stock pennant.  This isn’t the best picture of it, but you get the idea.  Plus you get to see a cute, little Jedi. 


We started the party with a galactic dinner.  There are so many creative food ideas out there for any theme you want.  It’s so much fun to come up with your own menu!   I think our spread turned out quite nicely. 

-Han-wiches (ham sandwiches)
-Jar- Jar Links in a Blanket (little sausages in crescent dough- I forgot to uncover them for the picture, hopefully you get the idea. )

-Bow-ba Fett Pasta (pasta salad)

-Vader Veggies ( veggie tray)

-Princess Lays (Lays potato chips)

-Obi-wan Kabobies (fruit kabobs)

-Lightsabers (pretzels sticks in candy chocolate)

 -Qui Gon Gin-ger Ale (ginger ale), Yoda Soda (any green bottle soda), Vaderade  (red gator ade)

I used the Star Wars font again with some cardstock to make the name tags for the food items.  We got the Star Wars stickers at Wal-mart.  



Next it was time to come up with the activities.  No Star Wars party would be complete without lightsabers!  We cut a bunch red, green and blue pool noodles in half and used duct take to make a handles.  



We bought a bunch of white balloons and I had my husband draw some stormtrooper helmets on them. We tied them to sticks so they wouldn’t float away.  Due to the windy weather those storm troopers were flying all over the place.  That was all part of the plan, right?  It made them a little harder to defeat. They didn’t last very long, but the kids had fun with them while they lasted.   The kids just had a lot of fun playing with the lightsabers.  Even the grown ups got in on the fun. 


I really wanted to make a death star piñata.  How hard could it be, right?  Well, I went to every store in town and they didn’t have any piñata in a round shape at all.    Here is where you can learn from my mistake.   I could have just driven the 30 minutes to the nearest party store and got a round piñata right then and there.  But I didn’t.  I figured a round piñata wouldn’t be that hard to make from scratch.  I had done paper mache in school, so this would be a piece of cake.  I hadn't even got the first layer done when the balloon randomly popped, covering me and my mom's entire kitchen in nasty flour paste!  What a disaster.  Needless to say, we ended up getting a round soccer ball piñata and made a dent on one side to look like the Death Star and then painted it the correct color.  Trust me, save yourself the stress and just buy one.   The only downside to painting the piñata is that we put so many layers of paint on it that it was hard to break open.  We ended up needing a baseball bat to get it open.  So, just lightly paint your Death Star and everything should go smoothly.    
(pictures)


Cake time!  I love decorating cakes for my family. This time I made an R2 D2 cake.  I made a large cake in a 12x18 inch sheet cake pan and then one cake in a 9x13 pan.  I  cut the pieces for the legs out of the 9x13 cake.  Then I shaped one side of the sheet cake to be the bottom of the droid and rounded the other side for the top.  I used icing colors to get the right shade of colors and then I used a #16 star tip to do the entire cake.  It took a while, but was a lot of fun and definitely worth it.    


There you have it!  It was so much fun and the best part was watching my little Jedi enjoy it all!  I’ve got a feeling this won’t be the only Star Wars party I plan for this cute Jedi of mine.  
(picture)  


No comments:

Post a Comment