Monday, March 30, 2015

General Conference Memory & FHE Lesson

General Conference is this weekend!  We always try to make the FHE before General Conference about the First Presidency and the Twelve Apostles.  Last year in The Friend magazine (Sept. 2014 issue) they had a fun activity with Special Witness cards.  We made a memory game with just all the faces printed and laminated them.















My kids had a lot of fun playing with them for FHE and later during General Conference.  They loved finding the face of who was speaking. Elder Christofferson quickly became the favorite match because my kids are convinced that he's from the Disney movie Frozen.

This year I used the same cut-outs again, but to switch things up a bit and since it is Easter, for our memory game the matches were in plastic Easter eggs; instead of just the pictures, we had the one picture and made the match to the picture be fun facts about each person.















You can do this whichever way is best for your family.  If you want to just put picture matches in the eggs, you can do that.  You can also color coordinate the eggs for young kids who don't quite understand memory yet.  To make it more of a challenge you can get eggs of all the same color, etc.  Do it whichever way works best for your situation.  I just did a bunch of random colors.
















I put the eggs in egg cartons so they wouldn't roll around so much.  I plan on letting my kids use these during General Conference this weekend.

This time, we also added that whenever a match is made we read a quote from that person's conference talk from October.  I put together a list of my favorites, but you can definitely use your own.

I love doing lessons like this.  They really get my kids excited about conference.  I love that the First Presidency and Apostles are becoming more familiar to them and they know their names. 

Materials: 
Special Witness Cards from The Friend Magazine (decide if you want the match to be the face and facts or just faces.)
30 plastic Easter eggs
Empty egg cartons, optional.
Quotes from each member of the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve (you can use mine, or pick your favorites!)



Song Ideas:
Follow the Prophet
Latter-day Prophets
We Thank Thee O God for a Prophet
Come, listen to a Prophet's Voice  

No comments:

Post a Comment